Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The 4 Wives


Once upon a time there was a Prince who had four wives.
He loved the 4th wife the most and adorned her with expensive clothes, and treated her most delicately. He took great care of her and gave her nothing but the best.

He also loved the 3rd wife very much. She was very beautiful and he always enjoyed showing her off to his friends, but was always afraid that she may run away with some other men.

He loved his 2nd wife too. She was very considerate and patient. Whenever he faced any problems, she would always help him out.
His 1st wife was very loyal and contributed a great deal towards his success and also took care of the household. However he never paid much attention to her although she loved him deeply.

One day he fell sick and was finally on his death-bed. He thought that although he had 4 wives but when he dies, he will be all alone. So he asked his 4th wife, ' I loved you the most, gave you the finest clothes and took great care of you. Now I am dying, will you follow me and keep me company.' The 4th wife replied 'No way" and walked off without any further word.

In came the 3rd wife and he asked her ' I loved you so much all my life. Now that I am dying, will you follow me and keep me company.' She also replied 'No way', and further remarked that life was so good that she would re-marry after he dies.

He then asked the 2nd wife, ' You always helped me with my problems, I need your help again for one last time. I am dying, will you follow me and keep me company.' The 2nd wife replied that I am sorry but this time I cannot help you, at the most I can go up to your grave.

Then he suddenly heard the voice of his 4th wife saying that I will go with you and keep you company. As he looked up he realized that she was so skinny as if due to malnutrition. He told her with great sorrow in his heart that I should have taken better care of you while I could have.

The fact is that we all have 4 wives in our lives.
The 4th wife is our body: No matter how much time and effort we devote in making it looking good, it will leave us when we die.
The 3rd wife is our possessions, status and wealth: When we die they all go to others.

The 2nd wife is our family and friends: No matter how close they had been to us when we were alive, the furthest they can go is up to the grave.

The 1st wife which we cannot see is our soul itself: We often neglect it in our pursuit of material wealth and sensual pleasures, but it is the only thing which follows us wherever we go. So it won't be a bad idea at all to cultivate and strengthen it now, taking better care of it while we can with good noble deeds, than to wait until we are on our death-bed!!!

0 comments: